Sport and recreation is an integral part of Victoria’s social and economic life. A strong, vibrant and interconnected system supports over 3.8 million Victorians to play sport and be engaged in active recreation.
Victoria is home to 100 state sports associations, one third of Australia’s national sport organisations and more than 16,000 clubs in a highly developed governance and administrative structure. There are 9,500 community sport facilities, leisure and recreation centres, a network of over 2,000 trails and thousands of playgrounds, parks and sport reserves.
Victoria has a global reputation as a major sporting events capital. World-class sporting infrastructure supports a calendar of events that adds over $1.8b per annum to the State’s economy.
The State boasts world class expertise in sporting infrastructure, high performance and community participation programs, coaching services, sport analytics, governance, sponsorship, media, broadcast, professional and educational services, facility and event management.
We work collaboratively with the not-for-profit, private and government sectors to:
- Improve the health and wellbeing of Victorians
- Build stronger and more connected communities
- Deliver economic growth and jobs
- Enhance liveability.
Sport and Recreation Victoria maximises the economic and social benefits provided to all Victorians by:
- Ensuring greater access and opportunities for participation in sport and recreation by all Victorians
- Maintaining Victoria’s reputation as Australia’s leading state for sporting and major events
- Ensuring Victoria continues to be the home of the sport and recreation industries and administration
- Developing and improving the quality of community sport and recreation facilities
- Investing in major sports facilities to support high performance pathways
- Strengthening the capacity of sport and recreation organisations
- Continuing a robust evidence base for activities in the sport and active recreation system
- Reinforcing the enriching role that sport and recreation plays in people’s lives.