Victoria's suite of major stadia are the envy of the world, setting the scene for some of the biggest international events to come to this state including the Australian Open, AFL Grand Final, World Cup of Golf and the Boxing Day Test.
The venues that host the State’s major events calendar provide a platform for:
- supporting the visitor economy
- enhancing the State’s international brand
- contributing to industry employment
- improving the State’s liveability.
The Victorian Government is proud to have worked with the public, a wide range of partners, and stakeholders that make up the Victorian sport and recreation industry to develop Home Ground Advantage.
Home Ground Advantage delivers a game plan that focuses on major oval and rectangular field based stadia and indoor arenas which host national and international men’s and women’s sporting competitions and entertainment events.
It identifies opportunities to be implemented over the next 30 years to ensure Victoria remains the premier state in sport and major events focusing on the following policy priorities:
- professional women’s sport
- regional event attraction
- transport integration around major venues
- safety and security
- universal design.
To address the identified priorities a set of major development and renewal priorities have been identified to deliver improvements to our stadia and arena network including:
- Etihad Stadium
- Upgrades to professional women’s sport venues
- Eureka Stadium, Ballarat
- Kardinia Park, Geelong
- Melbourne Cricket Ground.
While the key major development and renewal priorities across the network have been identified, ongoing venue renewals such as smaller scale upgrades will be needed across the network so all facilities continue to respond to changing demands.
It is recognised that a long term view of potential pipeline projects needs to be considered to compliment the venue network. These pipeline projects are largely determined by appropriate content models to support investment. These projects could include:
- redeveloped and new arenas in metro and regional Victoria capable of hosting national and international competition
- redeveloped and new rectangular stadiums.
Our game plan to guide planning and investment decisions relating to major stadia and arenas.