The recipients of the inaugural round of the game-changing Golf Scholarship Program include Jacqui Colbert from the Bright Golf Club, who has secured a grant of $7,500 towards the cost of completing a Certificate 3 in sports turf management at Holmesglen TAFE.
“It’s always been a dream of mine to be a golf course superintendent and I thank the Victorian Government for providing this opportunity to realise that dream and take my education to the next level,” Ms Colbert said.
The other scholarship grant recipients are:
- Keegan Powell from The Sands Golf Club, to help pay for an MBA through Victoria University
- Rebecca Thomas from Leongatha Golf Club, to complete a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
- Alexandra Hilliard from Commonwealth Golf Club, to compete on the WPGA Tour of Australasia
- Andre Lautee from Kingston Heath Golf Club, to compete on the US Amateur circuit and US PGA Tour qualifying school
- Lukas Michel, elite Australian amateur golfer, nominated by Golf Australia for a study tour with top US golf course designers to further his developing career in the course construction industry.
Golf Australia chief executive James Sutherland said we congratulate this round of recipients and we know that the scholarships will provide some great support for people in the golf industry at a time when it’s most needed.
Golf in Victoria contributes $883 million to the state’s economy and supports 6,900 jobs – this program is part of the Government’s $7.46 million Supporting Growth of Golf Clubs Around Victoria initiative.
Scholarships of up to $7,500 are available under golf administration, player, horticulture and design categories, with a focus on providing more opportunities for women, gender diverse or non-binary people.
Minister for Community Sport Ros Spence said this is about providing opportunities for players, administrators, greenskeepers, designers and others to build a satisfying career – I encourage anyone who would benefit from this support to put their name forward.
Applications for the new round of the Golf Scholarship Program close on 28 October 2021. For more information visit the Golf Scholarship Program