Grants are available towards the costs of travel, accommodation and event registration fees.
Funding for is only available for events taking place:
- 21 March 2023 and before 21 November 2023.
Applications are accepted from community-based organisations involved in the delivery of sport and active recreation in Victoria.
Applicants must be non-government, not-for-profit, operating in Victoria and registered as one of the following entities:
- an incorporated association
- a company limited by guarantee
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation.
Applicants must meet all eight eligibility criteria listed under the who can apply section of the Program Guidelines.
Before you apply for this grant, please prepare:
- documentation of all transportation, accommodation, bookings, purchases or fee costs
- a detailed itinerary (template above) highlighting estimated costs
- quote/s which correspond to all other costs to be funded
- responses to the application and assessment questions.
Category 1: Victorian high-performance teams and athletes
- Applications can only be submitted by state sporting associations (SSA), Victorian regional academies of sport (VRAS) and state sport and active recreation bodies (SSARB). Eligible organisations must be recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria
Teams: One grant up to $6,000 with a maximum of $1,000 per team member
Individuals: Two grants up to a maximum of $1,500 each
Applicants can: apply and receive up to three grants in total in 2022-23
Category 2: Victorian emerging teams, athletes, coaches, and officials
- Applications can only be submitted by Victorian sport and active recreation organisations.
Teams: Grants of up to $2,000 with a maximum of $500 per team member; and/or
Individuals: Grants of up to $750
Applicants can: apply and receive up to two grants in total in 2022-23
What will be funded
The Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program funds the following eligible costs
- Travel: flights, fuel, transit (bus hire, taxi, ride-share)
- Event registration fees: championships, selection trials, training camps
The Program Guidelines lists what will be considered for funding and some of the items that will not be funded. Please refer to the Program Guidelines above.
Applicants that are unsure if their proposed project is eligible for funding, should contact Sport and Recreation Victoria prior to submitting their application.
This round of the 2022-23 Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program will prioritise funding for:
- Selection - Teams in which the athletes have been selected for competition (at the time of submitting the application)
- Distance Travelled - Applications which demonstrate a requirement for individual athletes to travel regularly, or further distances in regional Victoria
- Level of Competition - Travel for representative sport: region, association, state or national
Frequently asked questions
Below are some FAQs, please refer to the Program Guidelines for more detailed information.
Can I apply for funding to attend an international competition or training camp?
Funding is only available for events held in Australia.
This applies for both Category 1 and Category 2 applications.
Are there any specific dates for when funding can be used?
Funding is only available for events taking place from 21 March 2023 and before 21 November 2023
Can we apply if we have not yet booked or arranged travel or accommodation?
We understand your travel plans may not be confirmed. All applications still require supporting documentation.
This may include hotel reservation quotes, flight quotes for proposed travel dates, and a detailed itinerary highlighting estimated costs for fuel.
Budgets, spreadsheets and/or templates of estimated costs where quotes can be provided are not an acceptable form of evidence.
Applicants that are unsure if their mandatory supporting documents are accepted, should refer to section 8 of the Program Guidelines or contact Sport and Recreation Victoria prior to submitting their application.
Are we able to include registration costs?
Registration fees are eligible for funding but must be associated with travel requests.
Applications exclusively requesting fee costs are ineligible.
Can I apply for funding as an athlete, parent, individual, hospital or school sport and recreation club applying for current students?
Category 1 applications can only be submitted by state sporting associations (SSA), Victorian regional academies of sport (VRAS) and/or state sport and active recreation bodies (SSARB).
Category 2 applications can only be submitted by Victorian sport and active recreation organisations delivering a sport or activity that is a person-centric.
All applications must be submitted on behalf of athletes, teams, coaches or officials.
Applicants should refer to the Program Guidelines for full details on who can apply and in which funding category.
- Applications close – 5pm, 8 August 2022
- Notifications of outcomes - by October 2022
- Applications open – Wednesday 22 February 2023
- Applications close – Monday 20 March 2023
- Notifications of outcomes – May 2023
Applicants must submit a completed online application via the Department’s Grants Portal before 5pm on 20 March 2023.
You must apply for funding within the category for which your project is supported.
Applications submitted in the incorrect category will be ineligible for funding.
Confirm the category you wish to apply for then click Start a new application to commence your application. When prompted, applicants need to log-in using an existing Grants Portal account or create a New Account.
Category 1: High-performance teams and athletes (applications closed)
Category 2: Emerging teams, athletes, coaches and officials (applications closed)
Click here to access a saved draft application.
For preliminary information on this grant program:
Phone Sport and Recreation Call Centre - 1800 325 206
Open weekdays between 9am – 5pm (except public holidays)
Join the Sport and Recreation Victoria Mailing List
Keen to be informed about upcoming grant programs and initiatives at Sport and Recreation Victoria? Email us at email@example.com to join our mailing list.
Grants are considered complete when all funds have been spent, evidence of payment has been provided and you have submitted an evaluation report. Completion of the evaluation report is a requirement. Grant recipients may receive a request to acquit their grant up to 18 months after receiving payment.
The grant acquittal process is completed online through the Department’s Grants Portal.
Previous successful applicants can request their unique link to complete the evaluation report and acquittal online. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.