Big win for sport across the Valley
The Latrobe Valley is set to become one of regional Australia’s top sporting hubs with a major investment in its sporting infrastructure, thanks to an unprecedented $85 million investment by the Victorian Government.
This package delivers the very best community sporting infrastructure for Gippsland’s many sporting clubs and athletes, with over 500 jobs created along the way.
The community sporting package includes:
- $46 million for a new Gippsland Regional Aquatic and Leisure Centre in Traralgon
- $17 million to redevelop the Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports and Entertainment Complex in Traralgon
- $4 million to upgrade Morwell Recreation Reserve
- $1.7 million to upgrade the Latrobe Sports and Entertainment Complex in Morwell
- $3 million to upgrade the Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe
- $1.4 million for the Sale and Traralgon Tennis Centres
- $5 million for 9 local reserves to be upgraded
The Valley’s visitor economy will also get a welcome boost, with the sporting heroes from Collingwood Football and Netball Clubs, Melbourne Victory, Melbourne Stars, Melbourne United and Swimming Australia set to become regular visitors.
To support this, the Victorian Government will invest $6.9 million over 5 years to deliver an extensive program of major events and community sporting activities across the Valley. This includes bringing elite sports with regular pre-season games, coaching clinics and community carnivals.
The major clubs will also partner with local community organisations to support the critically important work they do in tackling disadvantage, boosting health outcomes and dealing with issues such as family violence, drug abuse and youth disengagement.
This sporting package will create 300 jobs during the construction phase and 275 ongoing ones. Construction will start on these projects in the coming weeks and is expected to conclude in 2019.